Monday, June 9, 2014

Something New.....

I am very pleased to introduce my guest blogger for today, Larry.  (I think we're onto something here!)

I don’t always get to join the Sunday morning walks, but when I am able, I’m glad to do so. 

So why do I walk? 

I began participating in these walks primarily because I thought it would be a nice opportunity for good exercise, and it has certainly been that, but it has also been much more.  As we leave Netherlands Road and head out in any one of several directions, I can always appreciate the natural beauty that surrounds us and the incredibly diverse architecture in our community. 

And even more importantly, there are the people.   I have had the opportunity to get to know good friends even better, and I’ve made some wonderful new friends.  The discussions have been great, ranging from the frivolous to the serious, and touching on all kinds of subjects:  family, health, nature, the weather, Temple, politics, sports, current events.  On every walk, I learn something new, and on every walk, there’s always at least one good laugh.

Ellen, Lynn and I circled Jamaica Pond this past Sunday, enjoying ideal weather conditions and lovely conversation touching upon a number of subjects.  As I try to do on every walk, I like to observe the people who walk by in the other direction, and on this particular Sunday, we saw individuals and families of every ethnicity and age, of every size and shape, and of every sexual orientation.  This highly diverse group of people had one thing in common:  they were all living together in peace as they enjoyed one another and communed with Nature on a beautiful June day.

For all of the strife and discord that there is in the world, it was just a nice reminder that human beings are capable of living together in peace.  This highly diverse group numbering at least 500 proved it this past Sunday morning.

Thanks so much, Ellen, for organizing these walks.

Warmest regards to all,
Larry

PS:  Heartiest congratulations upon the engagement of Advah, Ellen’s elder daughter!  We all look forward to receiving our wedding invitations for August 2015!

Lynn, Ellen, and Larry (in that order :)

No comments:

Post a Comment