Monday, September 30, 2013

This is the FIRST time....

.....I didn't post the issue the same day as the walk. I know I've let all my dear followers down :*(   I know you sit there on pins and needles just waiting for me to push that "Publish" button but it just didn't happen this time....

We went on a shiva call which lasted into the evening. Howard's sister's husband's father passed away last week. Earle was known for his corny jokes which endeared him particularly to his several grand- and one great-grand children. Shivas are so interesting. We talk about the person we've lost while eating a lot of food and even laughing. Dare I say almost like a party. But I suppose that's not a bad thing. It's a pleasant memorial for our loved one.

Back to the walk that really did happen. We were all "L"s again: Lynn, Louise, and ELlen. Lynn's daughter and granddaughter are spending the weekend with her. I mean they 'spent' the weekend that is now 'past' with her. And any time spent with that little cutie is always great! Not to leave out her young mom who has begun her studies again in nursing. I asked who is taking care of baby and the answer was her dad! How wonderful. A lot of learning going on in their household, as Lynn put it :)

Louise might be out of a job by the time you read this—oh my. (I wish those ___________s would just grow up.) Some of you might think she works in a library at Harvard but it's really run by the Smithsonian, and now you know who signs her paycheck. We hope they will continue to do so for a very long time.....

I had an interesting week with Alvin. Last Sunday he was cooking oatmeal on his electric stove top when he decided to sit down...for a nap. He was awoken by the phone but fell off the chair and couldn't get up (imagine an upside-down turtle) for 4 hours when his roommate finally came in to a house full of smoke and burnt oatmeal. So off to the hospital they went and there Alvin stayed for 2 more days. He'd had a trip planned to Washington DC and insisted on going. The doctors said "Are you #*%^#($@ crazy? No you can't go." The nurses said "Go Alvin, go, who knows if you'll ever be able to go again." He went of course and returned this morning having had the time of his life. He may have pneumonia and bruises on his back but what's a little antibiotics between friends?

Some odds and ends: Lynn is colorfully patching her son's jeans which brings back a lot of memories for me, anyway. Louise's dog has mange and now we know what that is, thank you Louise! We've all been told we must see Orange is the New Black, so I guess we will. I'll report on that later. Lynn and Louise, are not in jail, they are inside a large doll house. We talked about food shopping detail and the games we play...to get someone else to do it! Here's a great photo I found that fit the moment.


















Have a great week!
~Ellen



;)

No comments:

Post a Comment