Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A Different Kind of Walk

On Sunday, June 23, Howard, Gail and I decided to walk to Copley Square to finally see the Marathon Bombings Memorial before it was disassembled today, Tuesday. I envisioned a well-paced 2.5 mile walk, a view of the display, and then we'd be home by noon—I had a big afternoon planned.

Well, whatever was I thinking?!

For starters, it was over 90*. That certainly makes for a very slow pace. I'm miserable in oppressive heat (just me!) We finally took a break in the shade of a tree in the Fenway Victory Gardens...which were lovely...especially the tree. I tried to record the sound of birds conversing very loudly. But alas, Howard and Gail conversed even louder and my phone wasn't strong enough to record so far away what had sounded so close to my human ears. (I'm making a movie and bird songs would have fit in so well. It's about our last 4th of July in NH and I have to finish it before this 4th of July! Cramming, of course :))

Ellen and Gail by the Charles River,
near the Fenway Gardens
We gathered our strength then proceeded on our way. Soon we heeded the call of nature again and found ourselves in JP Licks where we decided to stay and eat our dessert before our lunch. It was air conditioned, can you blame us? I had a Margherita sorbet with chocolate jimmies. The server offered me a taste first but I opted to live dangerously and just go for it. Yum!


The memorial at Copley Square was very moving, much bigger that I had expected. Endless pairs of sneakers hanging everywhere, other runners' medals, tributes and photos of the people who had died, flags, stuffed animals, flowers, signs of all kinds and sizes, signatures on huge posters—we added ours. 
 


People had written poems, had sent messages from all over the world. Classrooms of children made posters and wrote letters. Visitors were from all over. We were from down the street. We all felt the same: teary, and moved, sad, and proud. 


There's a lot going on in Copley Square related to the marathon. Four pillars with the names of the cities the runners pass through. A huge mandala on the ground with a map of the route and a topographical map. The winners in all categories have been engraved around the edge of the circle every year since the beginnning, up to and including 2013. I never noticed these things before. I never stopped to look.

I'm so glad I looked today.


;)


No comments:

Post a Comment